Sunday, June 19, 2011

Create: Crayon Cars



I have seen these adorable crayon cars on serveral sites and thought this would be a craft I could interest my boys in, so I purchased this Nordic Ware Sweet Rides Classic Car Pan on Amazon.  I figure with 5 boys we will use this cake pan lots over the years--and not just with crayons!
(uh not sure what was up with Coleman here--that is life with boys--one minute mad the next forgotten, thank heavens:)
How to Make Crayon Cars:
1. Peel the paper off of the crayons. Sitting around peeling the paper off of the crayons together was fun at first, but became a little tedious after awhile.  The younger boy lost interest, but my older boys plugged along and I have to say I enjoyed working with them on this little project.    We sorted the colors so that the final cars would be different shades of the same color.
2. Break the crayons up--or just use broken ones like us:)  When we did have to break crayons my little boys loved to help!
3. VERY IMPORTANT STEP: spray your car shapes with cooking spray to help the cars come out of the pan easily.
4. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. 
5. Fill the pans with crayon bits and pieces. Here they are ready to go in the oven
6. Bake for about 20 minutes- We noticed that as the crayons melted, they sunk down and we had to quickly add more. 

All 5 of my boys had fun looking in the oven window and watching the crayons melt, swirling into a puddle of wax.  Who knew this would be so exciting!

7. Carefully, remove from oven when they are all fully melted. Allow them to cool. They shrink a bit and easily come out of the pan.

And Viola--you have crayon cars! 

Ours are now proudly displayed on each of my boys desks and inside our crayon bucket. 


The army truck is my favorite! We actually didn't plan it that way we just had leftover green and then a bunch of brown that we weren't being used so we just tossed them into the last mold and hoped for the best! It was a surprise when it turned out perfectly "camo".

Crayon Cars were crossed off our Summer Bucket list and considered a success! Fun times!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Cutest crayons ever! That would be a great gift, too. Love them.

Brittany said...

That is SOOOO cool!!! Gabe would die - he would love that so much! I wish I could borrow your pan! :) What a fun idea though - you guys are so creative and fun!

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs