Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Bird and a Prayer


On Saturday afternoon, I was jolted to the sound of Coleman yelling wildly for me. I ran outside to him excitedly proclaiming that he had caught a bird and (all in the same breath), asking if he could keep it!
Here was this poor little bird standing trapped under a Rubbermaid, not seeming worried at all. I guess he was too young to realize the serious danger he was in. I quickly explained that this bird was just a baby and that we should not touch it, or it's Mom would not take him back and then he could die. This worried Coleman greatly, so he stood guard (from a distance) protecting the little guy from all the curious neighborhood children until he finally flew off.
The rest of the day Coleman was worrying about him and hoping he had found his Mom and was safe in his nest. In the evening I found him sitting at our table with his arms folded and eyes closed. In front of him was his leftover dinner that he was too busy to eat earlier. After he was done, I told him that we had already blessed the food, but that it was really great of him and I was proud of him for remembering to do it before he ate.
He looked up with that sweet little face of his, kind of embarrassed that I had 'caught' him and said "I know Mom, but I was just saying a prayer for the bird. Is that OK to pray for a bird?" I was very touched with his sincere concern for that little creature. So I explained that of course it was , and that Heavenly Father cares even about the tiniest bird. I shared with him a scripture I have always loved in Matthew (10:29) about the sparrows "...and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.." . It was one of those precious moments that Moms treasure. I am so thankful for my tender hearted little boy!

7 comments:

Laura Ayers said...

that is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Even having twice as many grand children as I had kids, I still don't have those "moments" like Jan and I used to. Enjoy them, honey! . . . and I'm glad you have recorded it. Dad

Erin said...

That was the sweetest glimpse. He is so sweet. Seriously, what a tender heart he has. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you documented such a special moment.

Brittany said...

That was so sweet - I am all choked up! Coleman is such a darling, sweet boy. He really does have the most tender, kind spirit. He is ALWAYS so loving to Gabe..to all the little ones and he always gives me a hug and a big smile when I see him. He makes me feel like a million bucks! what a special guy!

stephanie said...

What a wonderful teaching moment! Children remind us of so many truths.
(I can't believe he was able to catch it!)

Mindy said...

That was so sweet! I got teary eyed reading about Coleman praying for the bird. You have such good boys, Mel. And I'm sure most of it is because they have such wonderful parents.

Amy said...

Cute little Coleman...he is such a sweet, loving boy. This isn't the bird living in the bbq, is it?:)

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs