Wednesday, December 8, 2010

DIY: The Easiest Pillow You Will Ever Make!

I LOVE the holiday pillows in the Potterybarn catalogue, but I don't want to spend the $39-$49 price tag, you know? Although, I have to admit that I do splurge on Potterybarn pillows sometimes, but ones that I can leave out for longer than a month.


BUT, I am happy to report that thanks to Whitney's brilliant idea, I have found a way to have holiday pillows at a fraction of the cost! AND you will not believe how easy this is!

First: You need a place mat. I got this one at Target for $3.99.

Make sure the place mat is double sided like this:
Next grab a seam ripper and pull out a couple of inches of the hem on one of the sides. Just enough room to get the stuffing in.


I bought this polyester fiberfill at the fabric store for $4 and only used about a third of it. So I guess I can make some more pillows:)
After you have filled it up, carefully pin the open hem. Then simply sew a straight line with your machine (or you could do it by hand) on the very edge to match the rest of the hem.
AND....viola you have a cute holiday pillow!



A beautiful Christmas pillow that no one would ever guess was a place mat in a former life! Super easy, inexpensive and cute! My kind of craft!

Merry Christmas and happy sewing:)

9 comments:

Janell said...

Brilliant! This looks great and who would have guessed? I love it, thanks for sharing your ideas.

Melissa said...

What a FABULOUS idea!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

BRILLIANT, Melanie! I love it!!

Mindy said...

Cute! I love it!

stephanie said...

Fabulous idea! Significantly less expensive. Thanks.

Heather said...

I LOVE this idea! Thank you!

Brittany said...

oh my goodness, Mel - that is seriously darling!! I cannot believe how easy too - what a brilliant idea. I think I can do it too! :) Love all the stockings hanging...so festive and fun!

Marnie said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial Mel. I love it. I think even a novice sewer such as I could do this. Now if only I could find place mats around here....shopping is seriously so limited. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Jan S said...

What a great idea. The pillow is darling! Hmmmmm . . . I am impressed with you, Mel. For a girl who complained through the ENTIRE semester of 10th grade sewing class, you turned out to be pretty crafty! :)
XOXOX Mom

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs