Friday, August 17, 2012

A New Chapter


This has been a BIG week for us.  Cannon had his Kindergarten Checkup and shots--ouch!
Even though he talked tough--when the shots actually happened he couldn't help the tears for a few moments. I was impressed with how quickly he wiped them away and resumed his BIG boy attitude!   Even after all these years of vaccinating my boys, it still breaks my heart to watch them hurt.
He was a brave boy and we celebrated that courage with a lunch together at Chick-fil-a.
I am going to miss having this little man as my daily sidekick!

We read the Kissing Hand.
 a MUST read, in my opinion for EVERY Kindergartner.
It is the sweetest book--I love it.
Have you read it?
Cannon had his "phase in" day and he did great and LOVED it.
He is just bursting with pride and excitement about being in school.
He tells everyone--friends and random strangers that we run into the BIG NEWS!

After dropping him off at school, I walked home fighting back tears with a big lump in my throat, but a friend called and I happily chatted away the heartache. I thought I was fine and that this was going to be FUN to have the whole day to myself.  It wasn't until my Mom called that my emotions got the better of me.  I know I made the right decision but this is HARD!
For 15 years I have had little boys with me as (almost) constant companions.
This is the END OF AN ERA for me.
I no longer have babies on my hip and chubby little toddlers underfoot.
Trust me when I say, I KNOW I will enjoy this new phase of life, in fact I already have LOTS of fun plans and created lists of exciting projects to do.  It will be a great year
BUT today my heart hurts and I just can't help it.

4 comments:

Mel said...

Ah, Melanie...my heart hurts for you! What a big change. You'll adapt to this new stage quickly but I'd say its ok to have a mourning day.

Kara said...

I have a 2 1/2 year old and 1 year old. This made me emotional just thinking bout my oldest starting Kindergarten in 3 years!!

stephanie said...

I can feel your ache. That will be me in three years! I have those same feelings just thinking about it. But hooray for the next stage and more time for recipes and projects.

Brittany said...

Oh Mel that brought tears to my eyes! Especially reading your words while looking at those adorable pictures of sweet Cannon! He is such a cute little guy - he has always acted so grown up to me. Prob because of all those big brothers. I can tell you I'm excited that he is in K this year same as Gabe, yahoo! But I can imagine what a change it must be for you. Sure love you sis!

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs