Thursday, December 6, 2012

Physiologically Impossible...

 I know that we have all moved on to Christmas now but ...I have to record this sweet day.
My heart was very full this past Thanksgiving.

 One of my favorite parts of the day is setting the table for my family.
I take my time and enjoy the process of creating something pretty.  It was so fun to get out the "good stuff" and think of the loving friends and family that gave us each plate, crystal goblet and piece of silver.  I felt such gratitude for the generous gifts we received on our wedding day over 16 years ago.   
I was also thankful for...
 my Mom who helped me set the table and cook. It was so fun to have her there.
...a thoughtful husband who went out and found a pretty tablecloth the day before.  I was feeling bad that I didn't have one for Thanksgiving that fit with the leaf.  I had planned on getting one but with our emergency with Bridger I never got to anything on my To Do list..

 Mostly I was thankful for this big rowdy bunch of boys who grumbled about having to put on a nice shirt for dinner.  Even though they can be quite a handful at times, I love being their Mother.  At dinner we went around the table and said what we were thankful for--I had a little lump in my throat as I listened.  There was plenty of silly ones, like gratitude for certain football teams winning or thankful that a certain brother wasn't being annoying,  but their were also some sweet heartfelt sentiments.  Bridger was thankful that Heavenly Father "helped me get through all that stuff at the hospital" ... I was too:)  We of course found so many blessings to count.

I came across this quote and I know it to be true:

"It's physiologically impossible to be grateful and stressed at the same time because the two emotional states release different types of hormones."
Kathleen Hall PhD. Founder of the Stress Institute in Atlanta, Georgia
Good House Keeping, July 2008, p48


She is right--we had a a very HAPPY day being thankful.  Works like magic!

4 comments:

M and N Tenny said...

Wow, I VERY MUCH like your quote at the end of this post. What a beautiful family and a beautiful thanksgiving table!

The Dickinsons said...

Love your table, so pretty, and what a GREAT quote. Looks like y'all had a nice Thanksgiving. We did too, here in Colombia, S. America. =)

Christmas blessings to you and yours,
~Heather~

PixieGirl said...

Your boys are so lucky to have such a talented mom who takes extra care to make things special...even though they may not seem to appreciate it, I'm sure they will have warm memories of all your beautiful work preserving traditions. Their future wives on the other hand will have a HARD ACT TO FOLLOW!!! Your table was simply lovely!

Mindy said...

Your table looks so beautiful. Beautiful tablescapes make me happy, too! I think it is Mom in us. (: I think it is amazing that Brad got a table clothe for you. What a good man! And I love going around the table and saying what we are thankful for. I miss doing that the years we are not with our family for Thanksgiving. I think all of us were thankful for Bridger this year.

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs