Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back to School Dinner

At the end of summer we have a traditional special dinner to celebrate the beginning of a new school year. Some years we go all out and other years it is pulled together at the last minute, but the boys love it no matter. We introduce a theme for our family to focus on that year, have a wonderful meal with dessert (our boys' favorite part) and the crowning event is that each boy receives a Fathers Blessing.

This year our theme was 'REMEMBER'.

Brad introduced it and read Heleman 5:12

There is so many truths we want our boys to always remember ... to name a few...
REMEMBER: who they are as sons of God, to build their foundations on Jesus Christ, how good it feels to do what is right, and that they are treasured and loved beyone measure.
Each month we will focus our Monday night Family Home Evenings (FHE) on remembering... to pray, give service, be honest, read the scriptures, follow the prophet, work hard, lead clean lives etc. That should keep our FHEs full!
This years Back to School dinner was a success! Now if we can just REMEMBER:)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I LOVE this tradition!!! I just might have to steal it next year. You are such a great mother! It was so fun to see you on Saturday. We have got to get together now that our kiddos are in school.

Brittany said...

what a WONDERFUL tradition!! I can't wait to implement that in our family. Mel, I know I say this a lot but you are such an inspiration to me. Thank you for being such a spiritual anchor in my life... your boys are so blessed to have been sent to you. I'm feeling so emotional right now! :) you are incredible - love you so much!

Mindy said...

I love this tradition. I am definitely planning to copy it with my kids someday. You are such a good mom, sis. I sure love you.

Marnie said...

What an awesome idea! I am going to do with my kids. Thanks for sharing. Your kids are so lucky to have such great parents.

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs